Hard-to-machine Property of Titanium Alloy and Solutions
Hard-to-machine property of titanium alloy:
- The high cutting temperature in the cutting zone is caused by the low thermal conductivity of titanium alloys.
- Severe adhesive wear and abrasive wear are caused by the high affinity of titanium alloy and the surface hardening effect.
- The low elastic modulus and high hardness of the titanium alloy cause the “spring back" phenomenon of the machined surface, which can lead to cutting vibration and tool flank wear.
- The high friction of the tool rake face caused by the low chip deformation coefficient (< 1) accelerates tool wear.
Solutions to solve the difficult problem of titanium alloy processing:
① Improve tool life
② Reduce surface roughness
③ Reduce burrs
Working Principle of Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) Technology
- The lubricating oil is atomized by compressed air and special nozzles to form micron-level micro-fine oil mist particles (5~30μm), and spray to the cutting area to achieve lubrication.
- Spray media: Fine oil mist particles
- Application feature: Fine oil mist particles can easily penetrate into the cutting area to achieve high-efficiency lubrication.
- In the process of chip flowing along the rake face, a large number of microcracks are formed due to the sliding friction and ploughing between the rake face and the chip bottom. As a capillary, microcracks can introduce fine oil mist particles into the cutting zone, and the oil mist particles can penetrate rapidly under air pressure, thus playing an excellent lubricating role.
Principle of Ultrasonic Machining with MQL
Inhibition of chip adhesion
- By applying ultrasonic vibration to the tool, the periodic separation between the tool and the workpiece can be realized, so as to reduce the contact time between the chip and the rake face and inhibit the chip adhesion on the tool face.
Improving penetration effect of MQL
- The instantaneous separation of the tool and workpiece in ultrasonic machining is beneficial to the penetration of MQL. The combination of the two processing technics can maximize the advantages.
Improving the machining stability
- Compared with traditional cutting, ultrasonic vibration cutting basically does not produce friction chatter, and the regenerative chatter is also significantly reduced.
Aluminum Alloy Laptop Machining WITHOUT Flood Coolant!
Breaking Industry Bottlenecks
Application in MP is harder than you thought!
- ✔ Clean machining technologies for big volume roughing, cavity milling, grooving and hole machining
- ✔ Minimize built-up edges on tool tips
- ✔ Prevent chips from loading on workpiece and worktable
Foreseeable cost savings and environmental benefits
- ✔ Less machining costs
- ✔ Longer tool life
- ✔ Better surface quality
- ✔ Supporting APL in achieving "Carbon Neutrality" by 2030